Monday, October 26, 2009

Technical History Museum


On an area of 22.000 square meters, the Technisches Museum Wien offers a wide range of fascinating insights into the world of technology. Unique exhibits from the past to the present make the house a venue for exploring exciting technological developments. (http://www.tmw.at/)

Thats the sales pitch for the Museum from the Austrian website. The real break down is that it was like discovery zone adults because you could play with almost everything and take part in some simple experiments. I even had to kick a couple of kids off of the green screen because I wanted to view my self on the Austrian Weather Channel.


*The main reason I made this a must on my trip was that I could actually touch and play vs. Historical Museum in Vienna where you would be electrocuted on the spot for staring too long at a painting because it might make the paint run. Kidding, kidding. But playing was a bonus.

This place was filled with a timeline like exhibit of industrialization throughout Vienna. There were three floors of industrial relics (i had to rush through the top two floors because I spend a good 1.5hrs at the bottom level with all the hands on experiments).

I only found out there were other levels because I saw a kid running towards this hamster looking contraption (showing the different ways energy can be converted for useful jobs like raising a basket of apples...)







No comments:

Post a Comment