Monday, October 26, 2009

Schloss Schonbrunn Garden


The Schonbrunn Garden is ridiculously large. When I was dropped off (saved me 1hr of train hopping) I had all intentions on running literally (thats why I look so ugly, fat, beat, sweaty in the pic) through the whole place. I was stoked on the idea of running through historical sights so I couldnt resist the temptation to run through the gardens featured in James Bond's The Living Daylights. Unfortunatley, I am not as well trained as I thought I was so I could only run through about 1/4th of it (i was running real fast thats my excuse).

Admission to the gardens is free for everyone to enjoy you only have to pay to get inside the Castle. As you probably know by now I like to interact with my surroundings even if its historical, so you can imagine my excitement when I found a garden labyrinth. The maze was constructed resembling the same layout and plants as were present in 1695. I didn't have enough time to make it through the maze no worries you can bet on it that I will be back there to check it out (with pictures and video next time).


Marketing Blerb from the Castles Website:

The palace and its grounds form a unit and reflect each other, in correspondance with the Baroque notion of the princely palace, according to which architecture and Nature should interpenetrate. The Baroque layout of the gardens, together with the additions made during the last decade of Maria Theresa's life, have survived more or less intact and today still determine the characteristic appearance of the gardens at Schönbrunn.

Historical Props:

From the 18th century to 1918, Schönbrunn was the residence of the Habsburg emperors. It was designed by the architects Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach and Nicolaus Pacassi and is full of outstanding examples of decorative art. Together with its gardens, the site of the world’s first zoo in 1752, it is a remarkable Baroque ensemble and a perfect example ofGesamtkunstwerk. (© UNESCO World Heritage Centre) (trip advisor)

No comments:

Post a Comment